• 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Boats, Videography

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

View PostPeter Crowl, on Aug 29 2009, 09:19 AM, said:

Interesting..I've not encountered Holiday before...looking for any info

Peter
in Denver

Peter,
Going wayback, the first "mystery boat"  that KW ever posted at FG was a Holiday.  I identified it and owned a duplicate but he refused to acknowledge the ID for some reason.   There is still a Holiday boat mounted up on a large 25ft. pole as the sign for a local boat dealer called Holiday Boats.  The dealer is dead and the dealership closed but the boat is still up there.  I asked the retired midwest boat dealer, Bud Eiler about them.   He sold them and liked them a lot because they were very heavy solid boats.  The one I had - weighed way too much.  I will contact Mr. Eiler and another former dealer, Mr. Simmburger to see if they have any old literature.  Mine was one of the boats crushed in our ice storm several years ago.  The one you have is the only finned Holiday I've ever seen and is probably very rare because of survival rate.  I'm assuming they were made in fairly large numbers to supply a dealer as large as Bud's Place.

Attached Images

• holiday.jpg

#3 Peter Crowl

Peter Crowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the input!
I don't have it - it's available - a long way from me...but it caught my eye.
Seller wants a pretty hefty price  - especially considering the distance.
Sounds like it's about on par with Glass Craft etc WRT manufacturer - volume - etc..
Not sure whether to zig or zag :~)

Peter
A long way from Tipperary
in Denver

#4 Bob Whiteside

Bob Whiteside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

View PostPeter Crowl, on Aug 29 2009, 10:51 AM, said:

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the input!
I don't have it - it's available - a long way from me...but it caught my eye.
Seller wants a pretty hefty price - especially considering the distance.
Sounds like it's about on par with Glass Craft etc WRT manufacturer - volume - etc..
Not sure whether to zig or zag :~)

Peter
A long way from Tipperary
in Denver
Great fins but it looks like they lightened up on the glass in newer models.  Rest of the boat is pretty generic looking.  The splash well might make the difference style wise?

#5 lee wangstad

lee wangstad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:25 AM

View PostBob Whiteside, on Aug 30 2009, 12:00 AM, said:

Great fins but it looks like they lightened up on the glass in newer models.  Rest of the boat is pretty generic looking.  The splash well might make the difference style wise?

Hi Peter,
Here is a shot from the 1959 catalog.  I've talked to a guy that had bought one new, and he said that he had a ball with it.  Bob, I think that your boat more closely resembles this Plastyle PL400.  What do you think?

Lee Wangstad

Attached Images

• holiday1959b.jpg
  • holiday1959a.jpg
  • plastyle1958a.jpg

#6 Peter Crowl

Peter Crowl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

Hi Lee!
I was hoping for your input :~)
Thanks for the catalog shot. It is interesting - if it were closer it might be worth the price ...

Peter
Picky Bastard
in Denver

#7 Bilnan1

Bilnan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

View PostPeter Crowl, on Aug 30 2009, 03:03 PM, said:

Hi Lee!
I was hoping for your input :~)
Thanks for the catalog shot. It is interesting - if it were closer it might be worth the price ...

Peter
Picky Bastard
in Denver
It must be over seas for Peter to say too far,,But I agree it is Ok but not a money pit,,Bill

#8 Bob Whiteside

Bob Whiteside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

View Postlee wangstad, on Aug 30 2009, 11:25 AM, said:

Hi Peter,
Here is a shot from the 1959 catalog. I've talked to a guy that had bought one new, and he said that he had a ball with it. Bob, I think that your boat more closely resembles this Plastyle PL400. What do you think?

Lee Wangstad

Yep, that's it alright.  I checked the registration and the boat was mis-titled as a Holiday. There was no ID on the hull.  Oddly, my boat resembles the one on the poles at Holiday Marine.  The boat dealership was actually named after Holiday Shores, a nearby subdivision with a small lake.  Thanks for the correct info.  Now if you could just get any info about Mobilcraft out in California.  I've tried with no luck.  Our daycruiser is the flagship of our armada and we know nothing about it.

Attached Images

• Mobilcraft.jpg

#9 lee wangstad

lee wangstad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

View PostBob Whiteside, on Aug 30 2009, 10:14 PM, said:

Yep, that's it alright.  I checked the registration and the boat was mis-titled as a Holiday. There was no ID on the hull.  Oddly, my boat resembles the one on the poles at Holiday Marine.  The boat dealership was actually named after Holiday Shores, a nearby subdivision with a small lake.  Thanks for the correct info.  Now if you could just get any info about Mobilcraft out in California.  I've tried with no luck.  Our daycruiser is the flagship of our armada and we know nothing about it.

Hi Bob,
I've seen a Mobilcraft up in Backus, MN at a second hand store.  It was built in Rosemead, California.  I've got photos somewhere, when I run across them again I'll post.  It was a rather large runabout/utility.  I was looking for something for my "Giants of the West" talk out in Seattle, but couldn't find anything on Mobilcraft.  Not that they were a giant manufacturer, or even a medium range builder, who knows if they didn't build anything more than these two boats, but they are interesting designs nonetheless.  With two survivors, maybe they make it into that "rare boat" genre that everyone seems to be searching for.

Lee

#10 Bob Whiteside

Bob Whiteside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

View Postlee wangstad, on Aug 30 2009, 09:48 PM, said:

Hi Bob,
I've seen a Mobilcraft up in Backus, MN at a second hand store. It was built in Rosemead, California. I've got photos somewhere, when I run across them again I'll post. It was a rather large runabout/utility. I was looking for something for my "Giants of the West" talk out in Seattle, but couldn't find anything on Mobilcraft. Not that they were a giant manufacturer, or even a medium range builder, who knows if they didn't build anything more than these two boats, but they are interesting designs nonetheless. With two survivors, maybe they make it into that "rare boat" genre that everyone seems to be searching for.

Lee

Thanks, Lee.
That's more than we new before.  The guy who sells old boat ads had one Mobilcraft Ad for a small fishing boat, or johnboat kind of thing.  The address was for a different town in California that I contacted with no results.  I will try to contact Rosemead.  

Also, I will still make a few calls to see if Bud Eiler has Holiday information.  Supposedly he has a huge photo collection of his 50 years as one of the biggest boat dealers (if not the biggest) in the Midwest.  He is currently surviving cancer very well and has some of the greatest knowledge about this stuff in the world. If you haven't met him, someday you should.

We knew another 50 year dealer who had the oldest dealership on the Mississippi in Illinois, Manny Quiller.  He gave us our first finned boat and told us of the hundreds he bulldozed into a pit on his farm.  There's probably a lot more stories there.  (Guys, don't bother calling him, that was the only fin boat he still had above ground and we're not sure if he's still above ground).

Thanks again.

#11 lee wangstad

lee wangstad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hey Bob,
My scanner and software isn't cooperating with me this morning, but I did manage to get this shot scanned.  Looks like the same hull.

Lee

Attached Images

• mobilcraft1.jpg

#12 lee wangstad

lee wangstad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

Bob,
Here's the other two shots.

Lee

Attached Images

• mobilcraft2.jpg
  • mobilcraft3.jpg

#13 Bob Whiteside

Bob Whiteside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

View Postlee wangstad, on Sep 6 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

Hey Bob,
My scanner and software isn't cooperating with me this morning, but I did manage to get this shot scanned. Looks like the same hull.

Lee

Wow, thanks alot. Lee.  That's fantastic.  It verifies the I.D.  which again, I was going only by the boat registration.  So, that means the 1956 model year is probably right also.  And now we have THE LOGO, which after 3 pro paint jobs is long gone on ours.

There's 2 though and I was kinda hoping I had the only one.
Boy, the daycruiser is sure a lot better looking though.

If you run across any contact or location info someday - let us know.
( I'll be sending you my preliminary sketches for a boat museum this Fall )  you can design it.)

Thanks again, Bob & Nancy

#14 Andrew_M

Andrew_M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

Here's a Mobilcraft that showed up on Craigslist awhile back.

Attached Images

• Mobilcraft_1.jpg
  • Mobilcraft_2.jpg

#15 n2aluminum

n2aluminum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

We have a holiday.  12 or 14 footer.  Very well made, pretty generic.  Mid 60s' I think.  I will have to locate the title again, but miles mi sounds right.  Maybe Holland.  I think I researched this thru geoffrey reynolds.  I think that the classic boat house has one on their site.  We bought it for the trailer.  It is ready for its make over to a cool custom.

N2ebay_photos_lake_052008_038.jpg

#16 BadgerBoater

BadgerBoater

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Realize this is an old thread, however I have just purchased a 1960 Holiday model 120, 15' "fin Boat" (from a farmer - in the barn since 1975!) which I will be restoring in the coming year.  Same boat as in the ad above.  Needs complete restoration, but everything is there except the interior.

Anyone else out there with a Holiday???

Attached Images

• 283348_2290513779282_1142105630_32937928_1677399_n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users